On 26 May 2015 the EU and Timor-Leste signed a short-stay visa waiver agreement.
The new visa regime provides for visa-free travel for Schengen Area citizens when travelling to the territory of Timor-Leste for a period of stay of 90 days in any 180-day period.
In order to benefit from visa-free travel, citizens from the EU and Timor-Leste must be in possession of a valid ordinary, diplomatic, service/official or special passport. Visa-free travel applies to all categories of persons and for any kind of purposes of travel (for instance tourism, cultural visits, scientific activities, family visits, business etc.), except to persons travelling for the purpose of carrying out a paid activity.
Ireland and the United Kingdom are not subject to the application of the agreement, in accordance with the protocols annexed to the EU treaties. Nevertheless, Timor-Leste signed with the United Kingdom a bilateral agreement which provides visa-free travel.
Any other citizen that is not from the Schengen Area neither Indonesian or British must request a visa on arrival at a cost of 30 USD, at the International Airport in Dili or at Dili Sea Port. The visa is valid for stay of up to 30 days, valid for single entry into Timor-Leste.
Travelers arriving at a land border post – that are not EU citizen or Indonesian – must satisfy the following conditions:
- Fill the following form (Download)
- Scan of your passport bio-page;
- Scan of ticket for departure (air, land or sea) or other acceptable evidence of departure arrangements;
- Scan of bank statement or other acceptable evidence that you have sufficient funds for your travel and holiday in Timor-Leste.
- If a host will cover your expenses for travel and stay, scan of a completed Sponsorship Form (see the Forms page). If your sponsor is not a citizen of Timor-Leste, you must provide a copy of your sponsor’s passport as well as his/her residency permit. If your sponsor is a citizen of Timor-Leste, please provide a copy of his/her National Electoral card.
Once complete, email the form and other required documents to: email@example.com
Other requirements to enter and stay in Timor-Leste:
Travelers must complete an arrivals card (available at the border post). They must also demonstrate:
- Intention of a genuine visit (as tourist or business trip).
- Sufficient funds to support themselves for period of proposed stay without breaching visa conditions.
- Accommodation arrangements.
In addition travelers must:
- Hold a passport, or travel document, with an expiry date not less than 6 months from the date of entry into Timor-Leste. The passport must have at least a whole unused page for the visa sticker.
- Hold a return or onward ticket, or show ability to fund own departure.
- Pay US$30 visa fee in cash. Note that there may be no ATM or money change facilities at the border post.
Important Notice :
To demonstrate sufficient funds for stay in Timor-Leste, each foreigner must have access to funds equivalent to :
- US$100 for each entry;
- US$50 for each day expected to remain in the country.
For more information, please visit the following Webistes or contact the Embassy: